[xen-tools] Re: name conflicts of xen-tools with xen-tools

Steve Kemp steve at steve.org.uk
Wed Sep 27 00:17:44 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 11:52:54PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:

> To say it first, I like xen-tools very much, and the great
> improvements made after my wishlist bugs! I use it very successfully,
> integrated with FAI for doing class-based automated
> installs of Xen instances. (I'll have to document how I connect
> xen-tools with FAI eventually, because I think it's a good combination
> to use them together).

  I'd love to see any documentation that you might produce, doubly
 so if it could be posted on debian-administration.org.

> But, as I just now realized again, I am having problems with the name
> choice of xen-tools. You might know (otherwise I tell you now), the
> name xen-tools is also
> used for a part of the xen distribution itself, namely these are all
> the python tools and libs  cmmmunicating with the xen kernel from
> within dom0, which is xm, xend and others,  and a list with the same
> name.

  I know of the confusion, and I'm also unhappy with it.  I believe
 that I was first because I remember distinctly searching for usage
 prior to settling on it.

  (The name seemed good at the time because I imagined a suite of
 interrelated tools for xen.  Kinda obvious I guess?!)

> So, it's sometimes complicate dto know what people mean when they say
> xen-tools, and in my mailbox it's hard to see which of both projects
> is named - even both lists add the [xen-tools] banner to the subject!

  I know the feeling, however at this point I'd be extremely reluctant
 to change it, and also I feel bad for being involved in conflict so
 I utterly refuse to ask the xen people to change their name.

  If it becomes apparent that this is a terribly widespread problem
 I would be prepared to revisit it, but to be honest right now I don't
 imagine that it is too annoying to anybody.  (Partly because I've
 used the same name for a long time now and this is the first time
 anybody has raised it - and I've thought about it for a couple of
 months at least.  Certainly from when I saw the xen-utils package
 in Sid.)

> I don't know which project got the name first, so it's hard to propose
> the perl xen-tools must change their name, with which there is a
> running website, Debian package and other stuff associated, but I
> wonder if I am the only one who realizes this conflict.

  I'd be interested in knowing what others think, and I'm not enjoying
 the potential for confusion .. but at the same time I don't want to
 change.

Steve