[xen-tools] Re: Using Xen-Tools to install a Debian domU on a Centos5 dom0

Steve Kemp steve at steve.org.uk
Tue Jun 26 00:53:54 CEST 2007

On Mon Jun 25, 2007 at 18:57:35 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:

> Okay, I guess something in the FAQ about how to install xen-tools on
> Centos5 for Debian domU would be good that covers this. I can draft
> this if you'd like, although I've posted everything that I did.

  That would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not 100% sure where it
 would go, maybe in the FAQ as you suggest or maybe in a new
 distro-specific section.

  I do have some notes from Henning about installing other distributions
 which I will be working out over the next week or two which would go
 nicely alongside it.

> I have another Centos5 machine that hasn't got anything xen-tools
> related installed on it yet, so if you have another way of doing
> things for me to test, I can try that out.

  I think our previous comments said it all.  Just to recap:

    1.  Install debootstrap from source.
        <New location: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/svn>

    2.  Install xen-tools from source.

> The alternative would be to change /usr/lib/xen-tools/etch.d is from a
> symlink to /usr/lib/xen-tools/debian.d into its own set of files, and
> have 55-create-dev apt-get udev. I'm not aware of the problems
> associated with udev, though.

  Perhaps add that as a role?

    --role=udev

  Then /etc/xen-tools/roles.d/udev:

--
#!/bin/sh
#

  I'd be happy to add that to CVS; but I think that on balance I'd be
 reluctant to add udev globally, unless people could confirm that :

   a)  It is *required* in more cases that I currently know about.

   b)  It will "mostly" not cause problems.

Steve