[xen-tools-dev] New febootstrap branch

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Mon May 17 14:49:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 05:56:14PM +1000, Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> It currently doesn't work due to a not uptodate list of archive URLs
>> (for at least Fedora), see
>>
>> It's yet another reason for trying to get febootstrap work as that one
>> seems uptodate, but compared to rpmstrap its still more uptodate. :-)
>
> I have a couple of minor rinse patches I used to build my Fedora Core 12
> images with - URL change, few new required packages, that kind of thing.

I'd be happy to attach them to the above mentioned bug report.

> I've not really looked at the source code of either of them - do you
> have a feel for which is easier to maintain long term?

That's what I'm trying to find out with the febootstrap branch. It's
possible that the code in there will be discarded if it doesn't work
out.

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:42:26AM +0200, Dmitry Nedospasov wrote:
> On 5/17/10 9:18 AM, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > It's yet another reason for trying to get febootstrap work as that one
> > seems uptodate, but compared to rpmstrap its still more uptodate. :-)
>
> As I've shared with you in an email before, febootstrap is a
> misnomer.

Hmmm, okay, maybe that e-mail wasn't that explicit. :-)

> It has a very different structure to debootstrap. This is even evident
> by looking at the package contents [1].

Yeah, noticed that.

> Anyway, if it works, i guess thats enough, I'm just warning that it
> might not be perfect for what we're doing.

Right, but I want at least have a look myself.

> RHEL/CentOS/Fedora only support Anaconda (the RH Installer) scripting
> for such installations. These scripts are known as "kickstart" scripts,
> which are written in python. CentOS even has a xen domU netboot
> installer initrd [2].

Yeah, I remember that you prefer this far more complex (but
fascinating) variant compared to rinse or febootstrap.

I though still think it's at least worth a look. Maybe I'll also have
a look at mach, too.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)