[xen-tools-dev] Cherry-picked most of your xen-tools patches

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Mon May 17 15:00:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:18:03PM +1000, Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> The only commit where I'm not sure how helpful it would be for a wider
>> group of users is the disabling of plymouth. While I can imagine that
>> plymouth doesn't make much sense in a DomU, I didn't have noticed any
>> problems with it. OTOH I don't use Xen's VNC feature (yet).
>>
> I'm not an expert at the deep internals of linux so please accept the
> following explanation may not be entirely accurate; its just what I see
> happen.

That's fine!

> When Plymouth starts the linux virtual terminal is changed to tty7 (ie,
> what happens when you press ctrl+shift+f7 on a real PC) - this seems to
> happen even when it stays in text mode. Xen VNC respects this, it seems
> to be a pretty close copy of what you see on a real PC.

Ok, so I'll try out the VNC stuff and see if I run into those
problems, too.

> I suppose this isnt really whats supposed to happen when plymouth starts
> (since its supposed to just hand off to some other program?), but
> plymouth crashes and I guess you are left stuck on tty7.

Sounds possible, yes.

> The standard change-terminal key combinations either dont work over
> VNC or my client doesn't send them.

IIRC they don't work in Ubuntu by default. :-/

> If however plymouth is disabled, the virtual console never switches away
> from tty1 and so the regular getty on tty1 is still visible over VNC
> allowing standard login.

Sounds fine if you don't expect gdm or wdm to show up, yeah.

> I expect many people use the xvc0/hvc0 with xm console;

Yeah.

Thanks for the information and explanations.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)